The Explorer’s Guide to Biology (https://explorebiology.org) is a free online learning platform, featuring text, images, and videos from some of the world’s most prominent scientists, which brings the wonders of life and the problem-solving nature of science to students and educators. The Explorer’s Guide to Biology offers two types of major content: ‘Narratives’ which cover major topics in biology, similar to a textbook chapter (~10,000 words), and ‘Key Experiments’ which tell the story of a critical experiment (~ 3,500 words). Our multimedia biology learning platform aims to encourage readers to become problem-solvers and explorers using narrative prose, beautiful illustrations, animations and professionally-produced videos. The Explorer’s Guide to Biology is a part of the non-profit Science Communication Lab.
The Explorer’s Guide to Biology team is seeking a Science Writer who will work with us to interview and interact with leading scientists and use these materials to write content such as Narratives and Key Experiments for the Explorer’s Guide to Biology learning platform. Together with other members of the Explorer’s Guide to Biology team, the successful candidate will communicate the stories of discoveries in biology to educators and their students. This position is a contract position (16-24 hrs/wk). Remuneration depends on experience and career stage.
- Translate biomedical advances and research into simple and engaging written pieces that are easily understood by high school seniors/1st year university undergraduates
- Interview scientists in person and remotely
- Write with tone and style of The Explorer’s Guide to Biology site
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects with a high degree of initiative
- Complete projects on time and meet deadlines.
- Attend meetings remotely with advance notice
- PhD in Biological Sciences, Science Education, or Science Communication is required, with a breadth of knowledge in biology
- A minimum of 2 years post degree writing experience in a relevant field
- Knowledge of concepts taught in undergraduate biology
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with web-based meeting platforms preferred
How to apply
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter with the names of three professional references and their contact information, as well as three scientific writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.