Applications for the 2022 Share Your Research (SYR) competition are now open!
Click the button at the bottom of the page to start your application!
The Share Your Research (SYR) Competition builds on the successes of the previous editions of the program and our latest course “Share Your Research: How to Give a Good Talk,” to provide focused, personalized science communication training and mentorship for scientists from all early career stages, including faculty.
This year, we will offer our virtual professional development opportunity to eight winners. SYR participants will hone their scientific presentations and record a video of their talk with the help of iBiology’s professional science communication trainers, videographers and editors. Our team will train you in storytelling, slide building, delivery, virtual recording and more, and your final video will be shared with our global audience. Beyond improving your own science communication skills, you will develop a toolkit for guiding others in sharing their research.
This is a unique opportunity for early-career scientists to improve their communication skills, become part of the iBiology community, and showcase their work on our global platform! Are you willing to take on this unique challenge? Are you prepared to share your science with our broad community? Read below for full application details.
- COHORT: Eight winners will receive virtual science communication training from iBiology’s team of expert science communication trainers.
- DATES: The training will take place over the last two weeks of April 2022. Exact dates are April 19, 20, 21, 22 (Tue-Fri) and April 25, 27, & 29 (Mon, Wed, Fri) 2022.
- Applicants must be available 9am-12pm PT on all dates. We encourage you to block off additional time for working on your talks.
- This may vary based on your experience, but we estimate 2 hours per day for PhD students and postdocs, and perhaps less for faculty with more experience sharing their work.
- COACHING: With coaching from iBiology staff, winners will refine their slides and their presentation, developing a talk that is accessible to a general biology audience.
- FINAL VIDEO: At the end of the training, winners will record their new 20-minute research talks at home, using a kit specially developed by iBiology. SYR talks will be edited by our professional team and promoted on the iBiology website as part of the Share Your Research Series.
- DEADLINE: Applications must be received by January 15, 2022 (11:59pm PT) to be considered.
The Share Your Research Competition is funded by the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation and the Rita Allen Foundation. QUESTIONS? Send the program organizer, Kevin McLean, an email: firstname.lastname@example.org